Thursday 14 February 2013

The Greedy Greek - Review


This is not me at the Greedy Greek in Sheffield. It is me at a completely different restaurant, which is completely unrelated. 


It’s Valentine’s Day and to celebrate this festival, I have placed a ‘heart filter’ over a photograph of myself so that my readers may see what I would look like with an unfortunate rash. I’m too good to you!!

No, the real reason I am posting on this day is to alert you to something quite monumental that has recently happened to me; I have had a restaurant review published in the Mercury Newspaper!


IT'S ALL GREEK TO US...
Food Review: The Greedy Greek
Address: 48 Sharrow Vale Road

Visit Laura's blog at www.meanmuncher.blogspot.com
The Greedy Greek Deli couldn't really be better placed. Made famous thanks to those Sheffield Monkeys, Hunters Bar is far enough away from town to make a food joint decent and affordable but not in the middle of nowhere so as to make the journey there more longwinded and eventful than the Pilgrim’s Progress.

What’s more, if you're not a complete bore, you can skip (or waddle, depending on how many gyros you devour) down to the lovely bars and pubs in the area.
This unique little deli doesn't pretend to be a posh restaurant and if it did, it would lose some of its delightfully shabby charm. With a huge stretch of the imagination, you can almost believe that you are in Greece. A deli-style counter greets you as you walk in, the staff all look vaguely Greek and after careful observation of accents (all part of my service), I have deduced that some of them genuinely are!



Anyway, that is enough about the boring stuff; my keyboard is standing by, ready to be covered in drool, making it all damp and hazardous. Who am I to make it wait?

On my first visit to the Greedy Greek, I went with a few friends who had been there before. We went armed with bottles of wine and cans of beer to take full advantage of the “bring your own” policy. I greedily ordered three main courses for myself but immediately started to worry when they arrived: "Uh oh, I've over-ordered here, the portions are quite generous...will they be offended if I leave some? My mum always said my eyes are bigger than my tummy!"

Whilst I was busy panicking about how I was going to polish it all off, I suddenly noticed that the food had miraculously disappeared. Had someone stolen it? Was I still waiting and had actually imagined the food like a gastronomic mirage?
No, no, no – this is Hunters Bar and things like that don’t happen around here. Instead, I had wolfed down the food without taking a breath and my brain was only just catching up with the joy my stomach was experiencing. My love affair with the Greedy Greek had begun; this was my type of place.

After that, I hurried back, this time ordering just the halloumi wrap. The wrap comes in many forms - some meat (beef, chicken, pork) and some veggie (falafel, halloumi). You will receive an ample portion of your chosen filling wrapped up in a divine pitta bread/flatbread. Joining your filling will be a whole host of sauces and pâtés, salad leaves and vegetables and beautiful creamy hummus. The combination of flavours and textures will blow your mind but thankfully, not your bank balance.

It gets better! The next time I popped along to the Greek (by now, I'm looking a bit weird - did I mention these visits all happened within the same week?), I took up the offer of the "wrap meal deal". It costs very little extra and you are treated to the notorious meal deal comrades: chips and a fizzy drink.




Characterising these chunks of potato as "chips" is a little bit unkind of me. What I mean to describe them as is “perfectly-cut-beautifully-cooked- wonderfully-seasoned-bites-of-spud”. And a can of fizzy pop (there's no jazzing that up).

The Gypsy Kings ring out of the CD player and the fizzy drinks are accompanied by plastic cups that make you feel all wistful and nostalgic about your 9th birthday party. There is nothing about this novel and charming little deli that I would want to change. Go here with friends, lovers or just be brave and go on your own. Dress down, relax and enjoy.
The Greedy Greek is located at 418-420 Sharrow Vale Rd and is open 7 days a week from 10am – 10pm.

Greedy Greek Deli on Urbanspoon





Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Hello there I am so delighted I found your website, I really found you by accident, while I was searching on Aol for
    something else, Anyways I am here now and would just like to say thanks
    for a remarkable post and a all round interesting blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t
    have time to read through it all at the minute but I have saved it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when
    I have time I will be back to read much more, Please do keep
    up the superb b.

    Here is my webpage - download

    ReplyDelete