Saturday 16 February 2013

Cauliflower, Mustard and Gorgonzola soup

Really thick soup - felt as if I was starring in 15-Stone Babies on Channel 4. 


Now, I don't mean to boast (ha, ha, ha) but this is not the first time my writing has been published. I have, in the past, written an obituary for a local newspaper AND I was also erroneously given the position of Deputy Style Editor at a university newspaper.

I was awarded this position because I successfully gave a complete bullshitery of a pitch, where I acted as if I was motivated, proactive, a practised writer and (crucially) VERY into style.

In reality, I am none of the above and, unless I have a special occasion to go to, I am so not into style that I actually have a self-imposed uniform. The uniform changes from time to time but for the past three years or so it has consisted of the following: black Topshop Baxter jeans, an American Apparel t-shirt and hoodie and black Vans slip-ons complete with identical holes (where my big toenails grew too long a few months ago).

My first assignment as Deputy Style Editor was to write an article about 'winter campus style' and then recommend some scarves and hats and stuff. So, I started walking around campus looking like a bit of a sex pest. No, no, I'm not looking at your boobs but ooh what an interesting scarf you've got there!

I was cold and bored of asking people where they had got their hats from and they were sick of me asking so I decided to just make it all up and find out what was fashionable on the internet.

When I sent my first draft to the Style Editor, she complained that I hadn’t really tailored the article to ‘university life’. I lazily changed a few words and tried to make it sound more relevant ("a perfect hat to wear when one is out nicking traffic cones") and sent it back to her. It didn't go down well and although my name was printed below the article, none of the words were mine. I quit uni and got a job in Blockbuster.

Even though, this time, my article actually made it to print in my own words, I must assure my blog readers that they will not be neglected.

Despite now being a legendary critic, I'll still be here, slaving away over the stove just so you can look at fabulous pictures and receive free tips and recipes. It's with this in mind that I bring to you a gourmet version of a good old classic, whizzed up into baby food: Cauliflower, Mustard and Gorgonzola soup. 
  
The recipe is taken from the New Covent Garden Food Co.’s “A Soup for Every Day” book. I've changed a quantity or two in my version...mainly cutting down on the cheese.

Serves 4
Ingredients

2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tbsp plain flour
284ml vegetable stock
284ml milk – these are ridiculous quantities, just do what you can…UPDATE: after a quick google, 284ml appears to be just about half a pint.
1 medium cauliflower, cut into small florets
125g Gorgonzola cheese, cubed
1 tsp wholegrain mustard

  1. Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion and then cook until softened but not browned. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute.
  1. Gradually add the stock and milk, stirring as you do. Add the cauliflower, bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes until the cauliflower is tender.


  1. Remove from the heat, add the Gorgonzola and stir until melted.
  1. Blend until it’s smooth or leave in a bit of chunk if you prefer. Return to the pan and season to taste.


  1. Reheat on the hob for about 3 minutes and then stir in the mustard.

Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Seeing that I was pretty livid about having to drive all the way back less than an hour after
    my purchase, he sold me 2 Monster HDMI cables at $100 for them both, which was a deal considering they were originally priced at $75.
    DIGITAL VIDEO RECORDER Service, A variety of HDTV channels including free local HIGH DEFINITION, Movies
    On Demand and Free On Demand. One of the best things about this telephone service is
    the convenience of keeping your own telephone number
    and telephones.

    My webpage - oceanic cable

    ReplyDelete