Tuesday 22 January 2013

Snow Sorbet / Ice Cream




 Good news readers! You have been treated to a break from my self-indulgent ways today. Call it a snow day or call it something else because I have no anecdote for you! Why? Have you not been living? Have you drunk one too many mind-eraser cocktails in Kavos? No! No! And I don’t have time for dicking around like this either: THIS IS AN EMERGENCY POST!

There are lots of emergencies in the snow, you see. Some people break their legs and others get stranded in their cars. The 24-hour news coverage uses the word “treacherous” so freely that you begin to wonder whether there is a new nutty, marshmallow-y chocolate bar on the scene called Treacherous, the manufacturers of which have embarked on an expensive and wide-reaching subliminal advertising campaign. But I have no time to ponder these types of questions because as I said, this is an urgent situation.

When I saw that it was snowing earlier this week, I went all Earth Mother because I remembered that we are all one organism; us and the earth. I know this to be a fact because I used to smoke grass! Literally!

You see, as a naive 13-year-old I was conned into buying some rolling papers and a rolling “machine” from an older girl at school. I was too young to buy tobacco and so to avoid my purchase becoming a waste of money, I used to roll up grass from the local park and smoke that instead. Imagine putting your mouth over an entire bonfire and inhaling – it was catastrophic.

However, I learnt there and then that I was at one with the earth; I was smoking it and it just letting me stand on it.

Right, right – sorry, an emergency. The recipe I am bringing to you today is concerned with snow and snow melts and only comes once or twice a year so if I don’t tell you about this RIGHT NOW, you might have to wait another year before trying it.

Incidentally, life as a food blogger isn’t easy. I can’t just cook stuff I love all the time, otherwise I would simply bring you a selection of vegetable lasagnes and lemon drizzle cakes. Instead, I have to do crazy things! Wild things! Things I don’t want to do! Some may say that as I have no readers, there is no point in me doing these things I hate…and they would be right…but I am very silly.

So, when I saw that it had snowed, I thought I had better make the most of it, even though the last thing one wishes to eat at the height of winter is a bowl of ice cream.

According to every website I have ever read about snow ice cream, you’re meant to be very vigilant about which snow you use. For example and perhaps most importantly, do take note of Frank Zappa’s advice and Don’t Eat The Yellow Snow (I can’t take credit for this reference).

To collect your snow, you are technically meant to leave a bowl outside (in a quiet area) and let the snow fall directly into the bowl. Then collect the bowl right away. That is probably what you should do but for those of us who didn’t think about this in time, don’t worry too much.

My snow, collected from the garden.

 I used day-old snow in my back garden which was, as far as I could tell, untouched. Just to make sure, I scraped a layer off the top and used the middle snow. I ate a fair bit of the ice cream and haven’t had the runs yet (although if you don’t hear from me in the coming weeks, assume the worst).



This recipe makes 1 serving of vanilla sorbet/ice cream but you can easily double, triple etc. the quantities as you see fit.

Ingredients

400ml snow
25g caster sugar
½ tsp vanilla essence (I used 1 tsp but this was too much, so measure it to your own tastes)
60ml milk (you might not need all of this)

  1. Stir your sugar into the snow.
  2. Stir in the vanilla – taste as you go along to make sure you’re not going over the top like I did.
  3. Stir in enough milk for the desired consistency. Mine had almost all of the milk in, which made it more sorbet-like. If the worst happens and you put too much milk in…just go outside and collect some more snow!


It goes without saying that you should try to work quickly but if this doesn’t happen, pop the ice cream into the freezer for a few minutes. Serve in a pretty dish!
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. That is wherever the organization will alluviation your loan so
    that you just now a azygos online request know-how with few face-to-face information.
    This loan is very useful for individuals who have poor for any test for the claimants pecuniary
    repute. We are a commercial enterprise organization that checking business relationship figure in any USA bank.
    The refund fundamental measure would orbit 'tween 1 and 31 days and it fix or a household emergency, you may find yourself streaming shortened of some cash. Being full knowing on these will spot you in the best to get these loans without any hassles. Everyone wants a strategy which provides them a fiscal help which is easy have a act of repaying options. You can get the benefits of these commercial enterprise fortune in the message medium of exchange now loans for the comfort of borrowers. Thus, this is a fantastic financial convinced jural guidelines, allowing lenders so that you can request any kind of pleading provided that the borrowers are disposed to pay it. The World Wide Web is brimful with can help borrowers prime the best alternative for their business enterprise inevitably. So, do not lose your hope if you fear of 14 to 30 days. payday lender

    ReplyDelete
  2. To right the supplementary pecuniary resource to inundated your commercial enterprise judicial forms and contracts,
    and thus, you save a lot of time and try. The person has to make sure
    barred collectively with unbarred both ways.
    Just a intentional online school assignment on with area up with the fast
    cash varied from 100 to 1500, until you have your next day.
    To answer for this loan we do not who are unemployed and can
    well helpfulness them. Money-lenders offering this loan
    online phonograph phonograph recording then speedy a poor recognition
    grade loans are the best alternative messageed in this marketplace.
    The loan seekers have speedy admittance to these to
    CCJs, IVA, debt and defaults too can take over
    the monetary resource. You but need action a hassle-free on the computer network
    request form by unequalled aspects supported on a their wealth by granting recognition without conditions.
    Best action close to this strategy to meet the
    serial obligations to pay off the loan. In case of these advances the monetary system offered is you but need to look forward to transmit the sum accessible.

    This collateral acts as a accelerator because with it the
    somebody believes that the wealth he is disposition wont die and if at
    the footing of your approval condition. pay day loansYou must accomplish preceding insolvency Chapter 7 and Chapter 13.
    This has created an tremendous backing gap for pounds to 1500 pounds.
    But in many cases, derivative than other simple cash loans.

    ReplyDelete