Saturday 29 December 2012

Smarties Cookies



Where do I begin? I’ve already tried to begin an “update” blog like this many, many times BUT like I just said…where do I begin? I can’t even be bothered to go onto the blog to see where I last left you guys (ha ha, guys, readers, of which I have none).

Anyway, I’m pretty sure that everything I wrote about before now eg: oh, my life in London is so tragic! and I keep making an arse of myself in a job that actually pays me enough to afford a room! seems pretty cool and glamorous now. The kind of life I wished I was living was the closest I've ever been to the life I was living! Only, I didn’t realise it at the time.

I remember when I first found out that the Olympics were going to be held in London. It was 2005 and I was (I’ve been trying to calculate this for 10 minutes but my festive drunk head just can’t work it out)….17. I was 17. I remember doing a much quicker calculation to work out how old I would be in 2012. I would be 24. I am 24!

I had all these ideas about how I would probably have a fit, successful boyfriend. I would reside in London and we would share a flat together. The flat would be really sleek and modern and definitely in a really good area of London. Not a REALLY good area like Kensington but a realistic area. Like Islington. I would also have a job but it wouldn’t be a stressy job and I definitely wouldn’t have to commute. I’d come home and cook an incredibly complex three-course meal and we’d eat with our like-minded friends over candlelight and talk about music and films and art and our opinions would all be intelligent and similar. We'd all feel so....at home, wanted and belonging to something.

I would suddenly have changed body shape and instead of looking really clumpy and uncomfortable in a pencil skirt, I'd look sleek and business-like. My hair would no longer be frizzy and limp, as I would have presumably conjured up £10,000 of disposable income for a hair transplant. All my bad personality traits (I won’t list them here as that is surely a very negative exercise) would have magically disappeared (I also paid for a therapist) and I would suddenly be generous, accepting, wildly sociable, not constantly anxious and paranoid and loved by everyone. Shit. Can you now work out my bad personality traits?

So basically, it didn’t happen.

I tried to make some cookies today and they also failed. I know that it is always proper to credit your recipes but I got these cookies from a really nice blogger and I’m pretty sure that the recipe is fine and it’s just me that fucked them all up but I’m hesitating as to whether to link here.


Upon first tasting of the cookies, I said “these taste like sausages”. My mum and brother did not agree with this. Once the cookies had cooled down, I said “these taste of nothing at all”. My mum and brother remained silent, which is, I think, a sign that these cookies taste of nothing at all.

I wondered whether I had put too much baking powder or bicarbonate of soda in the mixture because I have sometimes heard that this can ruin the flavour. However, as I don’t know what too much baking powder or bicarbonate of soda tastes like, it’s difficult to accurately say that this was the problem.

Try these at your peril. Perhaps if you are really bored or in desperate need of something to nibble on eg: all your cardboard boxes have disappeared and you need something else to chew on ASAP. A good alternative, I feel, would be to simply bypass the cookie part and just eat a tube of Smarties.

One more thing. The 24 year old me of my dreams would 1) not have made anything that turned out wrong and 2) if, by some freak accident, she HAD made something substandard, she wouldn’t waste the calories by eating them all.

I am currently eating the 5th cookie of the most disgusting batch of cookies I have ever made or tasted.




Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment